Wednesday 31 August 2011

Fright Fest 2011 - The Overview

For the last two months, since booking my first Fright Fest, I have been experiencing child like excitement that was usually reserved for the build up to Christmas when I was young.  Along came Thursday 25th August and it began......

Walking into the Empire Leicester Square amongst so many likeminded horror fans was a treat in itself.  The foyer was packed and conversations about the good and bad of modern horror as well as the most influential horror films of days gone by filled the air.  The atmosphere of anticipation was immense and so I walked into Screen 1, located my seat and sat.  The lights went down and one of the festival organisers took to the stage.  It was time!!

Over the five days we were treated to films ranging from the good, the bad and the ugly.  There were John Carpenter tributes filmed especially for the fest (the They Live and Assault On Precinct 13 ones being my favourites), Trailer Trash, short films, special presentations of footage from upcoming horrors including Cockney's Vs Zombies, Q&As with cast and crews, giveaways and more. 

It lived up to every expectation I had.  The fans there were fantastic and met some really lovely frightfesters who hopefully I will see next year (or at the Halloween special event in October).  If you love your horror or even like it quite a lot then this is truly a unique experience and one you should grab with both hands.

My highlights of the fest were Kill List, The Glass Man, Tucker & Dale vs Evil, The Woman, The Innkeepers and the stunningly shot A Lonely Place To Die.  Lowlights consisted of Vile, The Wicker Tree, Saint and Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark.  Also recommended are the short films The Love Bug, Banana Motherfucker and Brutal Relax.

My reviews of all the films I saw will be up shortly.  Hopefully next year I will be seeing you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment